Friday, January 13, 2012

The Percontation Point a.k.a. The Irony Mark, the Ironicon ؟

A punctuation mark of late medieval time, a punctus percontativus mark was used to close a rhetorical question. It never became popular in print, because it would have required additional typesetting, which would have been more expensive.

The percontation point has staying power all the same. It has evolved, holding different meanings since it's inception to the present. It was used to denote irony, then encompassed irony and sarcasm. It has now become the "ironicon" it's meaning now covers irony, sarcasm, and rhetorical questions, also "snark".

I have been unable to find the alt key code for the percontation point, so this is an image of what it looks like:


If your computer can read it, then you know it is possible to use the ironicon in everyday communication. What do you think of the percontation point؟ (I copied and pasted this one.)

Note: I like the percontation point. I am going to use it whenever I can.

Something else I learned: An interrobang (question/exclamation) also exists.

1 comment:

  1. Either one would make an interesting tatoo.

    ReplyDelete