Friday, December 30, 2011

Verizon (correctly) Decides that Fee to Pay A Bill is a BAD Idea

So the unwanting soul
sees what's hidden,
and the ever-wanting soul
sees only what it wants.
~Lao Tzu

Before I even had a chance to blog about how stupid Verizon was being to want to charge people to pay bills, they reversed the very poor decision. The so-called "convenience fee" - $2 for one time phone or online payments is false at best, and greedy at worst. One should never charge people who are trying to give one money.

24 hours after announcing the new fee, Verizon reversed the decision. Good. It is nice to know that large corporations will still listen to consumers once in awhile. I'm not entirely sure that the decision was based solely on the reaction of Verizon customers - apparently the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) said they were planning to look into the action of Verizon.

So, good job Verizon, I guess.

There have been other companies that have made poor decisions that had to be walked back this year:
  • Bank of America and the infamous Debit Card Fee (I blogged about it here
  • Netflix and the Qwikster fiasco
  • Hewlett-Packard, though I don't think anyone really knows what they have decided to do
 Note: I am a Verizon customer, and I was going to start mailing checks even though I rarely make one time payments. It's just that irritating fees, based on sheer greed tend to piss me off.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment