Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Threading a New Sewing Machine

So much fabric, so little time! Or, sew much fabric!
~Unknown

As ye sew, so shall ye rip.
~Unknown


It may seem that threading one sewing machine is much like threading another. While true in principle, the reality is a bit different. Especially if you consider I've not sat at a sewing machine for 10 years, and the last time I did I was using an antique Singer machine. When I say antique I mean built in 1928. My olde Singer was a very basic machine.

I got a new machine over the weekend. It is also a Singer, so there is at least that similarity. I picked up the antique machine a few years back and it is what I learned to sew on. It was the only machine I've ever used, until now.

You can imagine my consternation:

After a few trials and errors, I managed to get it threaded and working! I only had to rethread it twice, and troubleshoot the tension a few times.  If there is one thing I love on my new machine that was absent from my old one - it is the automatic needle threader! What a genius invention!

Note: I became a professional and a prize winning seamstress using my old Singer.

A story on the side: I purchased my new sewing machine at one of the large discount retail stores (NOT Walmart). The cashier was an older gentleman - late 60s, probably. He was amazed and delighted by the sewing machine. "A sewing machine!" he exclaimed. "I didn't know anyone still sewed! Oh! And It's a Singer!" It made me smile.

1 comment: