Thursday, October 27, 2011

Mmmm Sushi nom nom nom?

sushi:
noun
a Japanese dish consisting of small cakes of cold cooked rice flavored with vinegar, typically garnished with strips of raw or cooked fish, cooked egg, vegetables, etc.

It turns out I like sushi. For years I've thought "raw fish, ewww gross!" I did try some once a few years ago, but it quite lived up to my expectation of "yuck." And I never thought I was missing a thing.

So, I got this coupon for a new sushi place that just opened very near the house. Walking distance. I  looked over the menu online and thought there were things on the menu I could eat - there were sandwiches and soups and salads as well. It was a great coupon, so we went over there for dinner this eve.

I was looking at the Sushi on the menu, and started thinking it didn't look so bad. Everything is cooked at this restaurant so nothing (ewww) raw. I decided I was going to try some. I picked a Spider Roll which is an "inside out" sushi roll - the rice is on the inside and the seaweed is on the outside. This was made with tem­pura soft shell crab, avocado, and cucumber. Add a bit of ginger and some ponzu (soy sauce with citrus flavor) and you have got a tasty meal!

Also sampled a Manhattan Roll - shrimp tempura, crab stick (fake crab meat), asparagus, avocado, spicey tuna, crispy flakes and masago (smelt eggs). Delicious too!

Note: The key to sushi, apparently, is to eat GOOD sushi.

Something else I learned: Sushi is (raw) fish mixed with, laid over or wrapped in or around special sushi rice. Sashimi is raw fish, thinly sliced. These are distinctly different menu items. Apparently there is a man in California fails to note this distinction and has filed a lawsuit.  Man Sues All-You-Can-Eat Sushi Joint Because He Didn't Want To Eat Rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment