Saturday, December 24, 2011

What the Heck is Cheese Curd and Why Would I Eat It on a Sandwich?

Cheese is milk's leap towards immortality.
~Cliff Fadiman


Cheese curds are a byproduct of the cheese making process. Curds are small bits of solids that separate from the whey in milk when the milk is curdled (the first step in the cheese making process). Most of the curds are then shaped and aged, making them full-fledged cheese.

Cheese curds can be exempted from the rest of the processing and consumed fresh. The flavor is mild and milky. The consistency is somewhat rubbery, and there is apparently a "squeak" associated with eating fresh cheese curds. Some cheese curds are flavored (spiced, garlic, ranch, etc.)

A bag of fresh cheese curds:


I don't know what has caused the sudden popularity surge of grilled cheese curd sandwiches (though I suspect it is rooted somewhere in Wisconsin). Up until a coworker ordered one at a restaurant the other day, I had never even heard of such a thing. She said it was tasty, and then suggested I learn what the heck it is for my blog. This one is for you Laura! :-)

Cheese curd recipes.

Note: Cheese curds are best when they are very fresh. 

Something else I learned: Cottage cheese is curd that comes from skim milk cheese processing.

***UPDATE*** 12-30-2011: I saw a bag of cheese curd available at my local grocery store today. That is the first time I have ever seen it in the cheese section. There was no date on it, and I know from my research that the curds are best when they are very fresh - otherwise I might have bought some and tried a recipe or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment