Saturday, February 11, 2012

Electric Cello - Who Knew?

Whoever heard of an electric violin, electric cello or, for that matter, an electric singer?
~Andres Segovia

I knew there was such a thing as an electric cello. I just had never seen one before. I went with my son to a concert this evening, and saw something I had never seen before. "What the heck is that?" I thought. I couldn't figure out if it was more a knee guitar that was played with a bow, or a knee violin. I certainly couldn't hear the deep plaintive notes I expect from a  cello over the 42 or so violins that were also playing.



The player was petite, and did not sit whilst playing. She stood the whole time, and the instrument rested on her knee. It was plugged in to an amplifier, but could not be isolated as a distinct sound.

So now I know what it is. I wish I could hear one played without any accompaniment to determine what it sounds like. It certainly doesn't possess the beauty of a good old fashioned cello.

Note: This is a very expensive instrument!

No comments:

Post a Comment