Sunday, February 12, 2012

Roast Duck For Dinner - Cooking Water Fowl

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
~Douglas Adams

Today I cooked a duck. I have never done that before. It was not particularly difficult - basically I roasted it at 375° for about 2 hours (it was a five pound bird).  I put some lemon quarters, shallots and some thyme in the cavity and rubbed it with salt and pepper before putting it in the oven. I didn't want to get too fancy, because I wanted to be sure to get the flavor of the duck.


I prepared whipped sweet potatoes and exotic fruit salsa as sides. And some cornbread. All in all, it was a tasty foray into trying something new, but I don't feel compelled to rush out and buy more ducks to eat.

Note: Everyone said duck is very greasy. It is.

1 comment:

  1. Tasty, and oddly enough, did not taste like chicken. But it looked like chicken.

    ReplyDelete