Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Vampire, A Poem by Rudyard Kipling

Oh the years we waste and the tears we waste
And the work of our head and hand,
Belong to the woman who did not know
(And now we know that she never could know)
And did not understand.
~Rudyard Kipling


When I think of Rudyard Kipling Just So Stories is the very first thing that comes to mind, and then I start singing ♫♪♪♪ "Look for the bare necessities, the simple bare necessities, forget about your worry and your strife..." ♪♪♫

Kipling has a vast array of work, most of which I have not read, yet I never pegged him for a vampire type. The poem was inspired by a Philip Burne-Jones painting.


Read the poem in it's entirety. It goes better with the painting - you get more a feel for what the poem is about. It's a rather misogynistic bit of poetry. But I do like the rhythm and the parentheticals, Kipling characteristics that have always delighted me as a reader.

Note: The Cat That Walked By Himself and The Elephant's Child are awesome Just So Stories.

Something else I learned: Der Vampir written by Heinrich August Ossenfelder in 1748 is wiely accepted as the first ever poem about a vampire.

Second note: After a lunch discussion today about sparkly vampires vs the more traditional sort I was supposed to be learning something about vampire sex today - but I got sidetracked. Hey! It's always good to learn a new poem, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment