Sunday, November 13, 2011

Rosining a Cello Bow

Music is the divine way to tell beautiful, poetic things to the heart.
~Pablo Casals

My son plays the cello. I have absolutely no musical talents whatsoever, so I am very proud that my son already, even after only a few months, can make such lovely noise on his cello. I do everything I can to help and encourage him. So today I learned how to rosin his bow.

It's not the hardest thing in the world to do, but if you are not a musician, it is not something you do regularly. These are the proper steps:
  1. Make sure your hands are clean
  2. Select a rosin (I just used the one we have - rosin selection: something to learn)
  3. Tighten the bow to "ready-to-play" tension
  4. Slide the rosin from bottom to top across the bow hairs several times
  5. Test: Bow should make pleasant music without to much effort. If not, apply more rosin until the bow glides easily across the strings

 

Note: The above video was helpful in that it provides some indication of how tight the cello bow should be.

Something else I learned: Rosin can leave residue on the string and cello which should be wiped off after playing so it does not build up and become difficult to remove.

2 comments:

  1. Girls just never manage to outgrow collectible dolls.
    While reviews will often differ from each other, it'll still provide individual a general feel of why the item deserves to be bought or ignored and what sets it apart from everything else. Get the best in knives, forks and spoon in metal to enjoy your dine.

    Also visit my web-site - flatware

    ReplyDelete